May - Oct
From mountaintop yoga to fly fishing on the Gore, Vail, Colorado offers something for everyone. It’s an endless bucket list of outdoor activities in Vail, and horseback riding is the perfect outdoor adventure for you! So, giddy-up!! The West and the mountains are known for horseback riding and Vail’s the spot to saddle up!
No matter your horseback riding skills, you’ll enjoy scenic views of the Rocky Mountains and your beautiful horse in no time. Whether you want a short relaxing ride in the Colorado Rockies or a two-hour ride along the Colorado River, Vail has a ride for you.
Vail Stables and Ranches
Find the perfect horse and a top-notch trail ride at one of these nearby stables or ranches:
- Vail Stables offers guided trail-rides through awe-inspiring scenery right in Vail. See breathtaking views of Gore Range and Vail Mountain. Pony rides and a small petting farm are perfect for the younger kids! Our gentle horses, friendly, experienced guides and awe-inspiring trails await your arrival.
- Piney River Ranch also offers several riding options and pony rides for younger cowboys and cowgirls. Along the trail, you’ll enjoy views of the surrounding mountain peaks, the pristine Piney River, wildflower meadows, and fields of beautifully forested Aspen trees. You may also catch a glimpse of our wildlife, including moose, elk, and deer.
- 4 Eagle Ranch Stables provides horseback riding in a unique ranch setting with breathtaking views of the Sawatch Range, Castle Peak, and Red and White Mountain. Located just 23 miles from Vail.
- The Wranglers at Sage Outfitters pride themselves on offering a truly unique ride every time they head out of their Horse Pasture. They rarely stick to trails and avoid riding nose to tail like many other rides tend to be and the terrain is absolutely breath taking with massive views of Castle Peak Mountain and the Vail Valley.
- Lakota Guides offers group horseback rides through stunning meadows and rugged mountains. This is not your everyday head to tail trail ride. At times you may fan out and ride abreast with wranglers instructing you to control your horse rather than just sit on it. We pride ourselves in taking care of our horses because they take care of us & our guests!
- Bearcat Stables is a great option for those with less riding experience. There are enjoyable trail rides for all skill levels and ages. Their easy-to-navigate trails give you the opportunity to sit back, relax, and admire the stunning Colorado views.
Grab your cowboy and cowgirls boots and hats and hit the trails of Vail on a horse!
Not to worry. If riding a 1,200-pound animal is not your style, check out mountain biking in Vail, Colorado! In that case, grab your hiking boots and hit the trails in Vail on a fat tire bike!
After your ride, don’t forget to check out surrounding areas for more family fun activities like Vail’s Mountain Coaster at Adventure Ridge.