Vail, Colorado – The Vail Recreation District is pleased to announce that the 37th season of the VRD Mountain Bike Town Series is scheduled to begin on June 23, kicking off with the kids-only Minturn Mini mountain bike race. Online registration is now open for both series and individual races. These events offer exciting and varied courses in and around the Vail Valley with categories for mountain bikers of all ages and experience levels!
The Youth Mountain Bike Race Series showcases younger riders ages eight to 17, who are invited to participate in every race in the town series, with the exception of the Lost Lake race on July 22, which is limited to adults only. The Minturn Mini Kids Race on June 23 and 24 is for kids only and lets young riders have the spotlight!
Please take note of important race format changes to preserve the health and safety of our participants and staff and to help prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Races will take place over two days (or three days if necessary) with multiple waves to ensure that county-mandated gathering limits are not exceeded.
- Race schedules will vary depending on race venue but plan on youth and beginner categories to take place on Tuesday evenings and adult sport, expert and pro categories to take place on Wednesday evenings.
- Team and individual series champions will not be awarded this year.
- Racers are asked to leave the venue immediately after finishing their race. At this time, races will not include an after-party or award ceremony. However, raffle winners will be drawn during the race and winners can pick up prizes upon completion of race before exiting the venue.
- Race results will be posted online and prizes for the top three finishers in each category will be mailed.
- Race registration numbers will be limited and during the Blue Square Phase, registration will be online only; there will be no day-of registration.
- Social distancing guidelines of six feet between individuals will be strictly enforced for racers and spectators.
- Participants will be required to wear face masks when picking up their bibs.
- If racers cannot participate due to illness or exposure to illness, their registration fees will be credited to their account toward another race or refunded.
VRD Town Series Race Director Beth Pappas is looking forward to a return to mountain bike racing this summer. “Camaraderie and friendly competition are synonymous with the town series and after the past few months, I think it’s exactly what our community needs,” said Pappas. “We’ve worked with Eagle County health officials to make changes to ensure we are operating as safe as possible for our racers and staff. Although the races will be different this year, the essence of the town series has been preserved: an opportunity to challenge yourself on our beautiful trails with friends old and new.”
East West Hospitality Mountain Bike Series
June 23-24: Minturn Mini Kids Only Series Kickoff
June 30-July 1: Venue TBD
July 7-8: Berry Creek Bash
July 22: Lost Lake (adults only)
August 11-12: Camp Hale Hup
August 18-19: Beaver Creek Blast
September 1-2: Davos Dash
The VRD’s Mountain Bike Race Series is brought to you by title sponsor East West Hospitality and presenting sponsors The Athletic Club at the Westin, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield and Bloch & Chapleau Attorneys at Law. The Youth Series is brought to you by Yeti’s Grind. Thanks to our additional sponsors Yellowbelly, Howard Head Sports Medicine, New Belgium Brewing Company, Central Rockies Mortgage, Elevated Dental, The Steadman Clinic, The Steadman Philippon Research Institute, Avon Liquor, Outdoor Tech, Sweet Protection, 808 Distillery, Maxxis Tires, Altitude Bar & Grill, Vail Honeywagon, Optic Nerve, the Town of Minturn and the Town of Eagle.
New sponsors are always being sought for the mountain bike series! To become a race series sponsor, call the VRD Sports Department at 970-479-2280 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Vail Recreation District
The Vail Recreation District’s mission is to offer diverse and exceptional recreation opportunities that enhance the physical, social and emotional well-being of all its residents and guests. The VRD aims to help Vail Valley residents and visitors pursue their recreational passions by providing the following outlets for competition in summer and winter via a running and a mountain bike race series, numerous tournaments and/or leagues for hockey, volleyball, lacrosse, softball, golf, tennis, soccer, flag football, broomball, figure skating and rugby; venues like Dobson Ice Arena, Vail Golf Club, Vail Nordic Center, Vail Gymnastics Center, Vail Nature Center, Vail Skatepark, Vail Tennis Center, Community Programming, Vail’s Imagination Station and use of additional gyms, playing fields and the surrounding White River National Forest via collaboration with local entities; sports classes and camps for youth, adults and families; and opportunities to learn about and appreciate our Rocky Mountain environment through guided activities, classes and camps.