Vail is certainly known for its world-class dining, but don’t let that intimidate you when looking for somewhere to eat out as a family. To help narrow things down when heading out for a meal in Vail, here are some of our top picks for breakfast, lunch, and dinner to feed the whole fam. And since most of our restaurants offer pick-up / to-go options, we’ve even included our favorite picnic spots (if you’re hoping for the best seat in the house)!
LOCAL TIP: We recommend making dining reservations in order to secure a table at your favorite spot! And, please be aware that some dining locations may be closed on select days. Plan ahead and call restaurants in advance to be sure they have a seat for you.
- West Side Café | West Vail at the Highline Lodge | Full-service classic breakfasts.
- Yeti’s Grind | Solaris Plaza | Coffee, tea, and easy grab-and-go breakfast choices.
- Loaded Joe’s | Vail Village | Load up with a variety of breakfast sandwiches and gourmet coffees.
- The Little Diner | Lionshead | Breakfast classics with locally sourced ingredients.
- The Tavern on the Square | Lionshead | Full-service breakfast with a view of Vail Mountain.
- Big Bear Bistro | Vail Village | This colorful café offers premium, natural meats, fresh-baked-daily breads, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free selections.
- Pazzo’s Pizzeria | Vail Village | Enjoy pizza, salads, and Italian sandwiches in a fun setting.
- Vendetta’s | Vail Village | Pizza, salads, and more served in a fantastic indoor or outdoor setting.
- Garfinkel’s | Lionshead | You’ll find something for everyone with views of Vail Mountain from their huge deck.
- Moe’s BBQ | Lionshead | Award-winning Alabama BBQ, including a variety of side dishes you’ll wish you had the recipe for!
Dinner – Casual
- Bully Ranch | Vail Village | Burgers and Southwestern dishes in a cozy space or out on the seasonal patio.
- Bol | Vail Village | Sample world flavors with small plates to share.
- Los Amigos | Vail Village | The locals’ go-to spot for casual Mexican-American fare such as tacos & burgers plus margaritas, just steps from the Pirate Ship Park.
- Red Lion | Vail Village | This iconic establishment serves up fantastic food, tasty drinks, and live entertainment.
- Blue Moose Pizza | Lionshead | Hand-tossed NY-style pizza is the specialty, alongside other staples like sandwiches & salads.
Dinner – Fancier (still family-friendly)
- El Segundo | Vail Village | This high-energy and casual restaurant serves creative southwestern dishes and delights with an expansive kids’ menu.
- Sonnenalp Swiss Chalet | Vail Village | Complete your Bavarian experience with authentic, regional, hearty favorites such as Schnitzel and smooth fondue.
- Russell’s Steakhouse | Vail Village | This classic steakhouse pairs a casual vibe with mouth-watering steaks, and smaller portions for the kids.
- Lionshead Chophouse | Lionshead | Steak, seafood, and a classic kids’ menu, all to the tune of live entertainment.
- Almresi or AlpenRose | Vail Village | Feel like you’ve been whisked away to Europe in the authentic Bavarian setting of either of these two sister restaurants and their classic German-Austrian dishes.
Take it to-go and secure a blanket, ground, bench, or picnic table. These are our favorite spots to “dine out” in or near Vail Village and Lionshead:
- Gore Creek/Covered Bridge | Picnic tables are available on the south side of the covered bridge on both sides of Gore Creek Drive.
- Ford Park | Find picnic tables under the two covered pavilions and others along Gore Creek.
- Gore Creek/International Bridge | Picnic tables have been set up on the International Bridge, or scout out the natural steps/sitting area under the bridge along the creek.
- Gore Creek in front of Vail Library | Just off the Vail Recreation path in front of the library, you’ll find several picnic tables with ample shade.
- Pirate Ship Park | A couple of picnic tables and several benches surround the park so you can enjoy lunch while the kids play!
- Sunbird Park | Picnic tables and benches surround this Lionshead park, complete with water feature to cool off between bites.
- Picnic Vail sets up distinctive settings throughout town including dining along Gore Creek, an experience near the Betty Ford Alpine Gardens or a private getaway near the Vail Nature Center. Picnics include a grazing board from The Grazing Fox, chilled bottled water, Polaroid camera, games ranging from conversation cards to corn hole, a low table, seating, glassware, cutlery and cozy linens. Each experience can be customized with a photographer, balloons, flower arrangements and more.