VAIL, Colorado – Live jazz returns to Vail tomorrow with the 27th Annual Vail Jazz Festival. Jazz vocalist, saxophonist and Vail Jazz favorite Curtis Stigers kicks off the festival, performing live under the Jazz Tent in Lionshead Village on Thursday, July 8, 2021. Doors open at 5PM and the show starts at 6PM on the plaza adjacent to the Arrabelle Hotel. The festival will include eight all-star Thursday evening performances, eight free Sunday evening performances, and the five-day Vail Jazz Party over Labor Day weekend. Tickets are available at VailJazz.org or 970.479.6146, full lineup below.
“Good fortune has smiled upon us: we are back from the pandemic precipice… and thrilled to present a joyous summer of jazz, with 29 performances running from July through Labor Day,” says Howard Stone, Founder and Artistic Director.
Additionally, the Vail Jazz Party full schedule of events over Labor Day weekend is now available! The grand finale of the Vail Jazz Festival, the Party features a jam-packed lineup with several headliners that join together to play in unique ensembles, jam sessions, and special performances. Patrons can expect a lively funk show, tributes to music legends, and the ever-popular Niki Haris’ Gospel Prayer Meetin’ at the Ford Amphitheater. Passes and tickets are on sale now at VailJazz.org/vail-jazz-party/. All-Access Patron Passes are $475, Performance Passes are $400, morning and afternoons session tickets are $55 and evening session tickets are $75.
Thursday evening headliner performances return under the Jazz Tent in Lionshead Village (675 Lionshead Place, Vail CO). Doors open at 5PM and performances begin at 6PM, presented by Alpine Bank and the Town of Vail. General admission tickets are $50, premium tickets are $75. Tickets are on sale now. This summer Vail Jazz partnered with Bol to present a FREE Sunday evening concert series at Solaris Plaza in Vail Village (141 East Meadow Drive, Vail CO). In addition to renowned regional performers, Vail Jazz will showcase talented Colorado student jazz bands on most Sundays at 5:30PM. July 11 and August 29 will not have a student band and will begin at 6PM. Bring your chairs to the venue early to get a prime picnic spot, Vail Jazz @ Solaris series is presented by the Town of Vail, Bol, Matsuhisa, and Compass.
Vail Jazz Festival Lineup
- Thursday July 8, 6PM: Curtis Stigers
- Sunday July 11, 6PM H2 Big Band – FREE
- Thursday July 15, 6PM: Chuck Lamb’s Tribute to Dave Brubeck
- Sunday July 18, 5:30PM Joe Smith and the Spicy Pickles ǀ Student Showcase: UNC Jazz Quintet directed by Steve Kovalcheck- FREE
- Thursday July 22, 6PM: Davina and the Vagabonds
- Sunday July 25, 5:30PM: Guitarra Azul ǀ Student Showcase: Azul de Azúcar from Kent Denver School directed by Justin Adams- FREE
- Thursday July 29, 6PM: Ann Hampton Callaway
- Sunday Aug 1, 5:30PM: Coração Brazilian Quartet ǀ Student Showcase: CCJA Bebop Police directed by Paul Romaine- FREE Thursday Aug 5, 6PM: Anything Mose! John Chin Plays the Music of Mose Allison Featuring Richard Julian
- Sunday Aug 8, 5:30PM: Quemando ǀ Student Showcase: East High Jazz Combo directed by Keith Oxman- FREE
- Thursday Aug 12, 6PM: Catherine Russell
- Sunday Aug 15, 5:30PM: Tony G and Friends ǀ Student Showcase: Denver School of the Arts Jazz Workshop directed by Dave Hammond- FREE
- Thursday Aug 19, 6PM: Julien Labro’s Django Collective
- Sunday Aug 22, 5:30PM: The Gratitude Quartet ǀ Student Showcase: Denver Jazz Club Youth All-Stars directed by Dr. Ed Cannava- FREE
- Thursday Aug 26, 6PM: Harold López-Nussa Trio
- Sunday Aug 29, 6PM: The Nelson Rangell Quartet- FREE
Vail Jazz Party Groups and Soloists:
Vail Jazz House Band – including John Clayton, Bill Cunliffe, Wycliffe Gordon, Lewis Nash, Dick Oatts, and Terell Stafford.
Emmet Cohen Trio
Joel Frahm Quartet
Vail Jazz Alumni Sextet
Jeff Hamilton Trio
For more information about the Vail Jazz Foundation and Festival, please visit VailJazz.org or contact Jamie Cox, Marketing Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org).